Working at the County of Sonoma offers expansive opportunities for growth and development, the ability to be a part of a challenging and rewarding work environment, and the satisfaction of knowing you're working to better our communities. You can also look forward to flexible work arrangements and excellent benefits* including:
- A hybrid telework schedule that meets the needs of our staff, department operations, and the communities we serve
- Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance; eligibility for a salary increase for good performance every year thereafter, until reaching the top of the salary range
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
- County paid 100% premium contribution for the majority of employee-only and employee + family health plan options
- An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance of up to $500 and ongoing education/training opportunities
- County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
- Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
- May be eligible for up to 8 weeks (320 hours) of Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of County employment
As the ideal candidate, you will provide Systems Administration support for Microsoft Windows Servers, with a focus on security related duties, working with multiple stakeholders. Desired skills you will bring to this position are:
- 3+ years of experience supporting complex Microsoft Windows environments
- Knowledge of Access and Identity Management systems, such as Active Directory and Azure AD
- Experience administering MS Exchange and Exchange Online (M365)
- Proven experience with planning, coordinating, and implementing patches, updates, and compensating controls for security vulnerabilities with server operating systems
- Experience with server anti-virus, anti-malware, and vulnerability protection systems
- Strong understanding and experience with Role Based Access Controls. Demonstrated knowledge of asset management, change management controls, and security policy adherence
- Excellent written and oral communications skills/good interpersonal skills
- Strong project management skills, including organization and time management skills
Please note: This position will be required to have access to secure Sheriff’s Office and Probation department facilities and/or view data or work with information systems for these departments. This requires that a more extensive “Security Clearance” be performed, after hire, by the Sonoma County Sheriff's Office. Successful completion of the probationary period will be contingent upon passing the security clearance, which includes a Live Scan fingerprint based check of California Department of Justice (DOJ) and Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) criminal records. If you are offered a position which requires a security clearance, the job offer letter will clearly specify this as a condition of the probationary period.
*Salary is negotiable within the established range. Benefits described herein do not represent a contract and may be changed without notice. Additional information can be found in the Service Employees International Union Local 1021 Memorandum Of Understanding (SEIU MOU) and our Employee Benefits Directory.
ISD is currently recruiting to fill 1 position. The employment list established from this recruitment may be used to fill future full-time, part-time, or extra-help (temporary) positions as they occur during the active status of the list. Qualified County employees who wish to be considered for future positions should consider applying to this recruitment.
Education and Experience: Any combination of education and training which would provide the opportunity to acquire the above knowledge and abilities. Normally, this would include:
1. A Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems or closely related field with courses in network technologies and management AND two years of technical professional experience involving network integration and development, systems analysis, systems engineering, or similar field in a multi-platform information systems environment including a minimum of one year experience designing, installing and maintaining segments and components of LAN/WAN systems.
2. Advanced level certification in networking technology related to area of assignment currently used by the County of Sonoma AND two years of technical professional experience involving network integration and development, systems analysis, systems engineering, or similar field in a multi-platform information systems environment including a minimum of one year experience designing, installing and maintaining segments and components of LAN/WAN systems.
3. Completion of the equivalent of two years of college with courses related to computer science, information systems or closely related field including courses or advanced level training in network technologies and management AND four years of technical professional experience involving network integration and development, systems analysis, systems engineering, or similar field in a multi-platform information systems environment including a minimum of one year experience designing, installing and maintaining segments and components of LAN/WAN systems.
License: Possession of a valid driver's license at the appropriate level including necessary special endorsements, as required by the State of California to perform the essential job functions of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Considerable knowledge of: Local and wide area network design, management, and operation; the inter-relationship of mainframe, PC, Local and Wide Area Network (LAN/WAN) and telecommunications systems including hardware components, software applications, operating systems, and documentation; LAN/WAN topologies, routers, switches, servers, LAN/WAN bridges and gateways, modem and Internet connectivity; network operating systems, hardware and software products and tools; network problem identification, monitoring, resolution, and vendor support procedures; methods and techniques of troubleshooting hardware, software, and inter-connectivity problems; principles of data security; methods and techniques of providing support to staff and users.
Working knowledge of: principles, methods, and techniques of systems analysis; design and maintenance of wireless communication systems; telecommunications systems and applications including voice, data, video, fiber optics, and other components.
Ability to: plan, design, upgrade, install, and administer LAN/WAN systems software; create systems specifications; provide technical support related to network systems; write and modify instructions, procedures, manuals, documentation; analyze systems problems, develop effective solutions, and prepare cost estimates; work cooperatively and effectively with staff, customers, and vendors; perform a variety of tasks in a consistent and accurate manner; analyze and evaluate information, problems, and situations and develop an effective course of action; prepare clear, concise and accurate oral and written reports.
Selection Procedure & Some Helpful Tips When Applying
- Your application information and your responses to the supplemental questions are evaluated and taken into consideration throughout the entire selection process.
- You should list all employers and positions held within the last ten years in the work history section of your application. Be as thorough as possible when responding to the supplemental questions.
- You may include history beyond ten years if related to the position for which you are applying. If you held multiple positions with one employer, list out each position separately.
- Failure to follow these instructions may impact your competitiveness in this process or may result in disqualification.