Senior Environmental Health SpecialistCounty Of Sonoma
The County of Sonoma Department of Health Services (DHS) seeks experienced Registered Environmental Health Specialist candidates to fill a Senior Environmental Health Specialist (EHS) position.
What Makes Sonoma County a Great Choice
Working at the County of Sonoma offers expansive opportunities for growth and development, the ability to be a part of a challenging and rewarding work environment, and the satisfaction of knowing you're working to better our communities. You can also look forward to a competitive, total compensation package* including:
- An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance up to $850 and ongoing education/training opportunities
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
- Significant portion of health care premiums paid by the County and access to several health plan options
- County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
- Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
- Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance; eligibility for a salary increase for good performance every year thereafter, until reaching the top of the salary range
Please note: This position requires current possession of a valid certificate of registration as an Environmental Health Specialist as required by the State of California's Health and Safety Code.
The Environmental Health & Safety Section of the Public Health Division is divided into two teams: Consumer Protection and Environmental Protection. The current opening is on the Consumer Protection team where the Senior EHS provides value-added customer service for community event programs and mobile food facilities. This position will develop cooperative working relationships with the community and other regulatory agencies to protect public health and promote sound environmental practices; provide information to the public regarding food safety, recreational health, and other Environmental Health programs; and develop and utilize complex problem-solving and exceptional customer service skills both in the field conducting inspections, and when assisting the public on a walk-in basis.
Additionally, the Senior EHS will:
- Serve as a subject matter specialist
- Assist with program development
- Act as a program lead, providing guidance to staff and assisting supervisors
- Facilitate the implementation of process and program improvements throughout the Environmental Health programs
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Experience working with community events and mobile food facilities
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills
- The ability to assess a situation and recommend appropriate solutions in a complex regulatory environment
- Experience as a lead worker
*Salary is negotiable. Benefits described herein do not represent a contract and may be changed without notice.
This employment list may also be used to fill future full-time, part-time, or extra-help (temporary) positions as they occur during the active status of the list. County employees who wish to be considered for future positions should consider applying to this recruitment.
APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS REQUIRE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE BE COMPLETED.