Development DirectorMendocino Coast Healthcare Foundation
Reports to: Executive Director
Classification: Full-time, exempt/salaried position, with medical/dental/vision/retirement benefits.
In partnership with the ED, this position is responsible for fundraising, development and event activities and operations, including primary responsibility overseeing Winesong!, the annual wine tasting and a charity auction event. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build the organization’s visibility, impact, and financial resources.
The Development Director also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
S/he will expand and diversify the organization’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives.
In addition, the Development Director will work closely with the Board of Directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
It is expected that the amount raised by the organization will increase in future years as the Development Director systematically and effectively strengthens the organization's overall fundraising capacity.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop and execute the organization’s annual fundraising plan
- Oversee organization of special events, including Winesong!, the annual wine tasting and
charity auction; supervise event staff and contractors
- Support and partner with the ED and board members on all major fundraising initiatives
- Actively work with the ED to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, and government grants, etc.
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- Interview candidates and hire event team members with Executive Director approval
- Build a robust donor base: Develop and maintain key long-term relationships with donors and prospects
- In collaboration with Marketing & Communications Director, provide timely and pertinent
information for social media and webpage maintenance–ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
Winesong! Responsibilities and Duties
Primary oversight for the successful execution of the event through delegation, direction and supervision of staff and contractors.
Winery & Culinary Tasting: Work with event staff and contractors to coordinate restaurant, food and beverage participation in the tasting. Send donation request letter to wineries and restaurants, confirm participation. Select musicians to perform throughout grand tasting.
Auction & Catalog Production:
- Contact private donors and wineries to secure all auction donations; arrange for delivery/pick-up for donations; organize and oversee storage and inventory of donations.
- Arrange for all auction trips and travel packages; finalize arrangements and details for fulfillment of auction trips post-event.
- Pre-auction catalog organization/combination of donation items into lots; and select lot sequencing.
- Develop/oversee writing of copy for live and silent auction catalog; coordinate production and distribution of catalog, including administration of contract with writer, graphic designer and printer.
- Arrange the Live Auction Luncheon; secure caterer, approve menu and coordinate luncheon service team
- Oversee Live Auction; work with auctioneers on lot distribution and flow of auction, troubleshoot day of event
Develop new sponsorships from local, regional and national businesses and individuals, confirm and maintain existing annual sponsors, renew and revise sponsorship agreements, coordinate production of sponsors’ promotional materials.
10-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources). Experience in healthcare fundraising preferred.
Development/Fundraising: Proven success in development for nonprofit organizations. Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan. Experience running campaigns and successful fundraising from multiple donor channels.
Project Leadership: Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects including coordinating with peers to achieve desired outcomes and tracking and reporting on progress to E.D./board of directors.
Entrepreneurial Spirit: Takes initiative and actively seeks to deepen current donor relationships and to forge new ones.
Communications: Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising; ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple messages. Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences.
Influencing: Gets others to accept ideas by using convincing arguments, creates a win-win situation and responds appropriately to key stakeholders.
Collaboration: Effective at working with others to reach common goals and objectives
Relationship Building: Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, across different levels of the organization and externally. Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
Initiative: A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also as a team player who will productively engage with others at all levels within and outside the organization; to take initiative and to effectively manage multiple tasks and projects at the same time.
Data Management: Familiarity with donor and event database software, skilled computer user and experience with common software programs.
- Availability for occasional business travel; available for meetings at times when donors, sponsors, advisors and board members are available
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree preferred, CFRE desirable
- Ability to stand/walk on uneven terrain for several hours, ability to sit for extended periods, and the ability to lift/carry objects weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Reliable vehicle, valid California driver’s license, clean driving record, and proof of insurance ($100,000/300,000/100,000)