Under the supervision of the Employee Benefits Supervisor, this position will perform responsible
and technical functions pertaining to Health and Welfare Employee Benefits Program. The
position also provides assistance and information regarding health and welfare insurance
coverage in the administration of the Employee Benefits Programs.
Principal Job Duties
- Conducts presentations to district personnel regarding assigned products, as needed.
- Resolves enrollment and claims issues for assigned products.
- Serves as a liaison to vendors regarding claim problems, issues and concerns confronting members and districts.
- Assists member district personnel in the preparation of enrollment applications and in the completion of other employee benefits materials.
- Assists employees and enrolled dependents with resolution of claim problems and other related matters.
- Assists retiree members with enrollment applications, the Medicare process and benefit options.
- Reviews the enrollment forms and other documents for accuracy and completeness, and maintains the eligibility database in specialized software.
- Establishes and maintains files and records pertaining to program participation.
- Maintains an appropriate inventory of employee benefits informational material, claim forms and other related forms and documents.
- Assists in the preparation of the necessary documentation for change status and termination of employee participation in benefit programs.
- Assists with coordination of wellness activities and projects with member districts as needed.
- Compiles statistical data for reports required in the administration of health benefits programs.
- Conducts a variety of research activities and projects.
- Prepares correspondence and memoranda for the Employee Benefits Supervisor’s review and editing pertaining to various employee benefits related problems.
- Manages individual premium payments, deposits, ACH banking and account reconciliation.
- Set and/or adjust schedule, as needed, for meetings, trainings, conferences, and other work-related events.
- Provides backup to Benefits Coordinator.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Fundamental and basic principles of health and benefit plans.
- Procedures, methods, and techniques pertaining to the administration of employee health benefits programs.
- Legal mandates, policies and regulations pertaining to employee benefits programs (HIPAA, COBRA, Medicare, etc.).
- Organizational skills necessary to manage eligibility and enrollment.
- Office methods and equipment, audio visual equipment, filing systems, telephone techniques, letter and report writing, and well-developed computer skills required in Windows-based applications.
- Perform responsible tasks pertaining to a comprehensive employee benefits program.
- Effectively and efficiently resolve employee health benefits problems, issues, and concerns.
- Independently and effectively organize and prioritize workload with frequent interruptions.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with peers, managers, and those contacted in the course of work.
- Compile fiscal and statistical data for reports and summaries.
- Perform calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Adapt to changing situations, analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Represent RESIG in a manner consistent with the policies, practices, and procedures of the organization.
- Attend conferences, off-site trainings, seminars, and other work-related events, as needed.
- Frequently travel to various schools, vendors, meeting sites and conferences.
- Must provide means of transportation.
- Must provide proof of a valid California driver’s license and California vehicle insurance.
- Work and walk on slippery, uneven, or irregular surfaces.
- Work with office equipment and computerized workstation which involves repetitive arm and hand movement.
- Work while sitting, standing, bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, and climbing.
- Lift and carry up to 25 pounds on a regular basis and up to 40 pounds on an occasional basis
Experience and Education
- Minimum one (1) year of experience involved with accounting and fiscal record management systems or related coursework, and one (1) year performing specialized functions pertaining to Employee Benefits Programs.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required; college degree preferred.
- • Experience with the public sector or public schools is desirable.
- Typing certificate 40 wpm
Successful applicants must be fingerprinted, and a satisfactory Department of Justice records check must be received prior to employment.
Per Government Codes 3100-3109 all public employees are disaster service workers subject to such disaster service activities as may be assigned to them by their superiors or by law. All disaster service workers shall, before they enter upon the duties of their employment, take and subscribe to the oath or affirmation required by the Government Code. In case of an emergency or disaster, public employees are required by law to respond to the disaster when so assigned.