The Medical Assistant functions within the care team by assisting the medical provider, serving as a liaison between the patient and the provider, and performing medical receptionist tasks as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare examination rooms at the beginning and/or end of each day.
- Prepare patient for examination which may include in-person, electronic or phone contact.
- Perform patient care procedures and evaluations for which s/he is certified/approved including but not limited to immunization and injections; assisting in minor procedures.
- Documents all medical information in appropriate fields in EMR; accurately enters immunization information into CAIR registry and EMR.
- Contact patients to remind them of and confirm appointments.
- Document and sign all clinical support tasks in the medical chart
- Check electronic medical record messages and follow up appropriately.
- Scan documents into electronic medical record.
- Using computerized electronic medical records performs duties for reception, discharge, scheduling, completing appropriate forms, checking eligibility, and enrolling patients in appropriate insurance and drug assistance programs.
- May provide health education to patients.
- Participate in quality assurance activities to monitor and improve patient care quality.
- Meets customer service standards.
- Follows all SRCH policies & procedures.
- Participates in ongoing training.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED preferred.
- Graduation from a medical assistant program with appropriate certification.
- Completion of a medical assistant externship required.
- Current CPR certification.
REQUIRED FOR CERTIFIED MEDICAL ASSISTANT (M134):
- Certified Medical Assistant by State of California through certification examination. Certification must be maintained. Proof of current certification must be provided for personnel records.
- One year medical assistant experience preferred.
- Experience with electronic medical records preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated proficiency with all tasks on the most current MA competency list.
- Fluency in English and Spanish (speak, read and write) required.
- Demonstrated computer/keyboard proficiency and Experience with Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint as evaluated by skills testing.
- Demonstrates knowledge of compliance issues within the community clinic environment.
- Demonstrates a willingness to report any incident that is unusual or incompatible with accepted clinic procedures.
- Complies with HIPAA policies.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to be sensitive with persons of various social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize projects, work relatively independently, manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Good judgment, problem solving and decision-making skills.
While performing the duties of this job, this position is frequently required to do the following:
- Use standard office equipment and access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Use computer keyboard with manual and finger dexterity and wrist-finger speed sufficient to perform repetitive actions efficiently for extended periods of time.
- Communicate effectively in person or via telephone in a manner which can be understood by those with whom the person is speaking, including a diverse population.
- Give and follow verbal and written instructions with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Perform complex mental functions; collect, interpret, and/or analyze complex data and information.
- Vision: see details of objects at close range.
- Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Reach forward, up, down, and to the side
- Sit or stand for minimum periods of one hour at a time and come and go from the work area repeatedly throughout the day.
- Lift up to 30 pounds.