The Vehicle Maintenance Laborer position will be responsible for performing a variety of janitorial duties in maintaining vehicle maintenance shops, offices, revenue vehicles, and related equipment in a clean and orderly condition; performs related work as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by, and minimum requirements required of, employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job. SMART reserves the right to determine and amend job responsibilities.
- Sweeps, mops, steams, scrapes and washes the interior and exterior, , of Diesel Multiple Units (DMUs) and locomotives as well as non-revenue service vehicles; hand wash front and back ends.
- Cleans revenue vehicles by removing trash, vacuuming carpets, floors and seats, scrubbing walls, doors and windows and spotting and shampooing carpeted and upholstered areas.
- Cleans and disinfects restrooms and restocks restroom supplies on revenue vehicles;
- Replaces worn seat covers as required;
- Inspects and cleans interior light fixtures as required.
- Drain and flush waste tanks.
- Performs daily visual vehicle inspection, reporting defects; checks and replaces consumables and equipment as necessary.
- Conducts the movement of rail cars and train movements using hand and/or flag signals or radio, in accordance with railroad rules and regulations.
- Moves maintenance vehicles around the yard to provide fueling, and related servicing to DMUs and locomotives.
- Prepares required daily reports, reporting any abnormal conditions to a supervisor.
- Checks quantity of and dispenses fuel and water to a variety of automotive and maintenance and service equipment.
- Posts, adds and subtracts the amounts of commodities used.
- Replaces accessories such as light bulbs, mirrors, and wiper.
- Following specified procedures steam cleans tools or parts.
- Assembles necessary cleaning equipment, materials, supplies, cleaning solutions and required protective gear.
- Cleans office areas and storage room by vacuuming floors, carpets and upholstery, shampooing carpets and upholstery, emptying trash cans, dusting and washing chairs, desks, files and other surfaces and washing walls and doors.
- Cleans and disinfects restroom surfaces and fixtures using detergents and chemicals; restocks restrooms with service supplies such as soap and paper goods.
- Uses chemical cleaners, equipment and materials in accordance with regulatory agency guidelines and SMART safety procedures.
- Performs heavy cleaning in shop areas, including service pits, truck bays and docks and floor areas, ensuring that debris and grease are removed.
- In employee lunchroom areas, cleans sink, stove, refrigerator, and tables in addition to floor and wall areas.
- Documents work performed.
- Performs cleaning tasks.
- Safely operates a variety of equipment including forklift, ground scrubber/sweeper, and upholstery cleaning equipment.
- Maintains proper care and use of materials, equipment, machines and hand tools associated with the assigned job.
- Performs yard set-up duties for pull out operations at the main and remote storage locations; replenishes sand.
- Reports problems to appropriate supervisor.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.