Advertising Financial Analyst
Sonoma Media Investments (SMI) an independent, privately-owned multimedia company based in Santa Rosa is seeking an Advertising Financial Analyst to join our team. Formed in 2012 by a consortium of local investors who recognize the value of quality local journalism, SMI is home to the most-read publications and websites in the affluent Sonoma Valley, north of San Francisco.
Each week, seven out of ten North Bay adults – more than 376,000 in total – engage with the many SMI publications and their corresponding websites, including: The Pulitzer Prize-Winning Press Democrat (the flagship daily), The Sonoma Index-Tribune, Petaluma Argus-Courier, The North bay Business Journal, Sonoma Magazine, The Sonoma County Gazette and La Prensa Sonoma (the region’s premier Spanish-language newspaper and website).
The Advertising Financial Analyst is responsible for working with the advertising and business unit leaders to forecast revenue and expenses, budgeting preparation and completion for all business units, month-end reporting, profit & loss review, calculating all department goals and incentive payouts, financial analysis, trend reporting and independent proactive analysis to predict revenue and expense challenges and opportunities. This individual will be a departmental lead in building, plus ongoing maintenance and updating of our reporting systems. They will also be a participant in strategizing company-wide pricing models, rate strategies and incentive plans. Additional special projects and tasks as assigned or proactively identified.
This is a full time position with job duties including developing and implementing procedures necessary to create and maintain accounting data and internal controls as well as reconciling accounts in accordance with established guidelines. This position is responsible for month end closing entries.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all advertising department financial reporting- creating reports and distribution.
- Responsible for the accurate compilation of all advertising goals and incentive/commission earnings and contest payouts. All sales and eligible support employees across the company.
- Responsible for all revenue and expense forecasting.
- Responsible for month end close duties and reports for the advertising department and various businesses as assigned.
- In conjunction with the Advertising leadership team, assists in the preparation and execution of the annual budget process.
- Responsible for ensuring all advertising revenue is accurately reported.
- Responsible for reconciling revenue issues; primarily ensuring appropriate allocations.
- Responsible for updating the 6 metric report each week and distributing to advertising management team.
- Prepare product Profit & Loss analysis as needed for our events in conjunction with our Events Director.
- Responsible for the receipt, recordation, submission and reconciliation of all advertising department expense invoices and expense reports, in addition to completing CRO’s forms for finance.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or finance preferred.
- Background of accounting and/or business systems.
- Ad process management.
- Understanding of CRM platforms.
- Knowledge and appreciation of business concepts and requirements as applicable to a media company.
- Skill in the creation and use of computerized spreadsheets, advanced Excel level and word processing software.
- Strong analytical, decision-making and problem solving skills and abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with managers and employees.
- Ability to organize and maintain own workflow and meet deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced level with business-oriented software, i.e. Microsoft Office, Excel.
- Familiarity with report creation and writing.
- Familiarity with business systems.
Sonoma Media Investment values the contribution of our employees and offers a competitive compensation plan. We also offer an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401K and Paid Time Off.
Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a pre-employment background investigation.
To apply, please complete an application on our career page, including a resume and cover letter.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement: SMI is committed to creating a safe work environment for all employees, independent contractors, vendors and guests. All employees are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccine and be subject to booster shots as recommended by the CDC. Medical reasons for not being vaccinated and religious objections will be carefully reviewed to determine if an accommodation can be made.
Sonoma Media Investments is an Equal Opportunity Employer
SMI Diversity & Inclusion Statement
The primary duty of a media company, at its core, is to seek out and tell the truth through its journalism. At the same time, we must maintain a company culture that is inclusive and free of discrimination of any kind.
We at Sonoma Media Investments, LLC, acknowledge the difficult truth that over the course of our long history, we have not always been consistent or effective in fulfilling another duty, to protect and defend those who are trivialized, disregarded, sidelined or treated unfairly in our community, and within our own company.
We at SMI are committed to creating and maintaining a company culture that is actively antiracist and scrupulously inclusive within our company’s work environment, and in how we report on and engage with the community we serve, regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, national origin, faith, age, ability or size. We pledge to promote equality and humane treatment of others, and to oppose prejudice, indifference, sexism, intolerance and hate. This we will do through our hiring, promotion and retention practices, through our advertising programs and customer service, and through our news coverage and community engagement.