Publisher, SMI Magazine DivisionSonoma Media Investments
Seeking an experienced Publisher to oversee Sonoma Media Investments’ Magazine Division. Current publications include Sonoma Magazine (regional brand), Spirited Magazine (national brand) and ancillary digital, print and event brands, such as, Cork+Fork, Destination Sonoma and Retail Therapy. Print products include Sonoma Magazine, Spirited Magazine, Sonoma Weddings, Play Petaluma and Local's Guide. The magazine division has been the recipient of dozens of industry awards, as well as 2019 winner of three CRMA awards, including the best small city and regional magazine in the country.
- Accountable for all P&L responsibilities, including budgeting for all magazine division products.
- Oversee revenue of all magazine division publications.
- Actively grow the magazine division by establishing custom publication partnerships, content development, events, digital revenue streams, etc.
- Grow circulation base (print and digital) for all magazine lines.
- Overseeing the quality control of all advertising, editorial and design in the magazine, including review and approval of copy, design, layout and page planning.
- Collaborate with the editorial team regarding the planning and implementation of the magazine – specifically the look, feel and content of each publication.
- In conjunction with the CRO, work with all sales reps to ensure that all magazine publications meet or exceed revenue goals. This involves regular attendance at all sales meetings and weekly four-legged sales calls with top clients.
- Oversee all freelance editors who contribute to the magazine product lines.
- Foster relationships with National house accounts.
- Actively participate on local boards and national associations such as CRMA to foster continued professional relations with industry insiders.
- Visit all key advertising accounts on a quarterly basis.
- Work with HR department in the hiring and selection process.
- Attend tradeshows, industry specific conferences and conduct market research to ensure that all industry trends and successes are being monitored.
- 5 or more years’ experience in an executive magazine position
- College degree required
- Prior or current CRMA, or other industry specific board experience preferred
Sonoma Media Investments (SMI) is an independent, privately-owned multimedia company based in Santa Rosa. Formed in 2012 by a consortium of local investors who recognize the value of quality local journalism, SMI is home to the most-read publications and websites in the affluent Sonoma Valley, north of San Francisco.
Each week, seven out of ten North Bay adults – more than 376,000 in total – engage with the many SMI publications and their corresponding websites, including: Sonoma Magazine, Spirited Magazine, The Pulitzer Prize-Winning Press Democrat (the flagship daily), The Sonoma Index-Tribune, Petaluma Argus-Courier, The North bay Business Journal, and La Prensa Sonoma (the region’s premier Spanish-language newspaper and website).
Sonoma Media Investment values the contribution of our employees and offers a competitive compensation plan. We also offer an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401K and Paid Time Off. Sonoma Media Investments is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background investigation and pre-employment drug testing.