Reporter – Sonoma Index-TribuneSonoma Media Investments
Sonoma Media Investments, an independent, privately owned multimedia company based in Sonoma County, is seeking a Reporter for the Sonoma Index-Tribune, an award-winning twice-weekly newspaper committed to excellence in community journalism. Index-Tribune readers online and in print enjoy extensive coverage of the people, government, trends and breaking news in Sonoma Valley.
The latest addition to this creative and aggressive news-gathering team will produce content (stories, photos and videos) for our active website while also crafting in-depth stories on general trends/topics in the community for print.
Formed by local investors who recognize the value of local journalism, SMI has multiple publications that reach seven out of 10 North Bay adults – more than 376,000 in total. The Index-Tribune and its website, sonomanews.com, serve a growing and engaged audience eager to stay strongly connected to their community.
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Research and write 3-4 full length news stories weekly, plus breaking news stories as needed. Beats may include healthcare, education, crime and emergencies, as well as post-North Bay fire recovery stories, along with other general assignment reporting.
- Write news and features briefs as needed.
- Track local news trends, suggest news stories, photos and videos that appeal to a wide variety of print readers and website users.
- Proofread content.
- Post stories to sonomanews.com and social media daily. Help keep site updated throughout the day M-F with fresh content, including breaking news, links to photo galleries, and content from affiliated publications.
- Attend meetings and community events as necessary, obtain reports and gather data, conduct interviews and collect information.
- Review website analytics.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
- Strong knowledge and familiarity with Sonoma Valley area and community a plus.
- Minimum of one year’s experience with a community newspaper.
- Multimedia skills, including updating a web site, use of Photoshop, video camera, video editing and digital camera.
- Spanish language skills a plus.
Sonoma Media Investment values the contribution of our employees and offers a competitive compensation plan. We also offer an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401K and Paid Time Off.
Sonoma Media Investments is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background investigation and pre-employment drug testing.