Staff WriterSonoma Media Investments
The North Bay Business Journal, a division of Sonoma Media Investments, is seeking multi-disciplinary journalist for its news team in Santa Rosa, California. The candidate must be skilled at writing breaking news for our website and also developing trend and profile stories for a regional print business publication. Business news experience strongly preferred.
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and write timely stories within deadlines
- Cultivate and maintain news sources and monitor developments in the news
- Identify photographs and graphics to illustrate stories
- Budget stories and maintain calendar of key dates and events in assigned coverage areas
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
- At least two years’ experience with newspaper or similar publication
- Multimedia skills required
- Ability to edit and post items to the NBBJ website
- BA from accredited college or university or equivalent education and / or experience in journalism or communication.
- 2+ years’ experience in a newsroom environment preferred.
We offer an opportunity to grow your career within a company which has recently been awarded a Pulitzer Prize.
Sonoma Media Investments (SMI) is an independent, privately-owned multimedia company based in Santa Rosa. Formed in 2012 by a consortium of local investors who recognize the value of quality local journalism, SMI is home to the most-read publications and websites in the affluent Sonoma Valley, north of San Francisco.
Each week, seven out of ten North Bay adults – more than 376,000 in total – engage with the many SMI publications and their corresponding websites, including: The Pulitzer Prize-winning Press Democrat (the flagship daily), The Sonoma Index-Tribune, Petaluma Argus-Courier, The North Bay Business Journal, Sonoma Magazine and La Prensa Sonoma (the region’s premier Spanish-language newspaper and website).
The position is based in Santa Rosa, an hour north of San Francisco, where vineyards give way to redwood forests and a scenic coast. The region, home to 650,000 people, is an international destination for tourists and produces some of the best wine and beer on the planet. Two colleges, along with thriving tech, farm and government sectors make this region of diverse communities an exciting and dynamic place to work.
Sonoma Media Investment values the contribution of our employees and offers a competitive compensation plan. We also offer an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401K and Paid Time Off. We are committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background investigation and pre-employment drug testing.