Full Time $16-$18 Per Hour
We are seeking an energetic, organized leader to serve as our Aquatics Coordinator and assist with the day-to-day management of the Aquatics Department. Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director, the Aquatics Coordinator supports in overseeing the staffing (including the hiring, training, scheduling and evaluating) of the swim instructor staff in both Group & Private/Semi-Private swim lessons. The Aquatics Coordinator will manage private and group swim lessons. They will uphold the safety of the aquatic environment in general, including leading Safety Around Water (SAW) programming. The Coordinator will work in partnership with the Aquatics Director in growing SAW outreach and programming. The Coordinator will assist in leading regular staff trainings in consultation with the Aquatics Director. The Coordinator (once certified) will conduct Swim Instructor certification courses.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionally every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world.
We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands program within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
- Recruits, hires, trains, develops, and schedules swim instructor staff and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Assists with Program Committee meetings
- Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program
- Performs other duties as assigned.
YMCA Competencies: (Team Leader): Engaging Community-Builds bridges with others in the community to ensure the Y's work is community-focused and welcoming of all, providing community benefit. Inclusion-Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and global work, as well as cultural competence. Communication & Influence-Listens and expresses self effectively and in a way that engages, inspires, and builds commitment to the Y's cause. Critical Thinking & Decision Making-Makes informed decisions based on logic, data, and sound judgment. Program Management-Ensures programs or project goals are met and intended impact occurs. Emotional Maturity-Demonstrates ability to understand and manage emotions effectively in all situations. Developing Self & Others-Demonstrates ability to understand and manage emotions effectively in all situations.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalency. College degree preferred.
- Must be available nights and weekends; will be required to work a full day each Saturday.
- Strong aquatics background and leadership experience preferred. Minimum of (2) years lifeguard and swim lesson experience, preferably with the YMCA for at least (1) year.
- Minimum of (1) year supervisory experience preferred.
- Effective communication skills are necessary. Bi-lingual (Spanish) is A plus.
- Basic computer skills required, including: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel. DAXKO experience a plus.
- Current YMCA approved certifications in Lifeguarding, Red Cross First Aid for the Public Safety Personnel-Title 22 or equivalent, Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer Certificate for equivalent
- Within 90 days of hire, completion of Child Abuse Prevention, Listen First and Customer Service. *If not certified, expected to be certified within (6) months of hire, training provided and paid for by the Sonoma County Family YMCA.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to swim, stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger handle or feel objects, tools or controls; stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities are required by this job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee works near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to supervise program activities.
Benefits: Competitive compensation Comprehensive benefits-Health/Dental/Life, Retirement, YMCA Membership